This being my second time down this road, I thought I might throw out some friendly advice on what is absolutely rude to say to someone who is pregnant (and probably already dealing with some dissatisfaction with the changing body):
1. Oh my, you've gotten SO BIG
2. Are you having twins? (any thing about twins is OUT... unless the person has already said they are having twins)
3. Does your doctor say it's okay for you to be getting so big?
4. Oh.. your really out there!
Basically, anything that insinuates that the person is getting fat. Getting bigger is what you are supposed to do. That is what pregnancy is.
A more appropriate choice would be:
1. Look at the cute belly!
2. Oh... I love the little belly (it doesn't matter how big the belly is... always stick with the words small, cute, sweet, etc.)
I'm not trying to be rude, but I am so tired of hearing how big I am and I don't want to hear it for the next 5 months. In all honesty, I don't know how many times I'll be able to hear it before I explode at someone with this pregnancy. I felt like a punching bag when I was pregnant with Abigayl.
Would you walk up to someone who has gained 10 lb and say, "oh my, you've gotten big!", I don't think so.