Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pain in the....

Eye!

Over the past 15 years I have had a reoccurring eye issue. My first time ever dealing with it was when I was 12 and it absolutely stumped the opthamologist. There were many appointments and many blood draws to try to figure the thing out. In the end, he gave me a shot in the eye with a steroid and some drops. It cleared up and I didn't think about it again.

Until two weeks before my wedding (almost 5 years ago) when it flared up again. I found an opthamologist here in Tulsa, Dr. Peters, tracked down my file from when I was 12 and proceeded to have another shot in my eye. Since then I have gone to see Dr. Peters once a year just to check up on things.

Well, Wednesday I woke up to pain in my eye and a slight blur in my vision. Knowing my history I immediately called Dr. Peters. Unfortunately for me, he was out of town and had to go to a Dr. Goldberg instead. Lets just say I am not a happy camper with Dr. Goldberg.

Friday I headed off to Dr. Goldberg's office hoping to get this eye thing cleared up. I knew what had happened in the past and I was pretty sure we would probably need to treat it the same way. Long story short, after two hours in his office and a $25 copay I leave with a prescription in hand that cost us $60 to fill. After using the drops over the weekend until I could go and see the amazing Dr. Peters and a decline in my vision, I found out that the $60 drops were for patients that had just had eye surgery.

I didn't have eye surgery! To make it even worse, my mom read to me that these drops should not be used on patients with an eye infection. Hmm... well, that's weird because I have an eye infection! So, after $85 down the tube I went to Dr. Peters office and once again had a shot in my eye. Along with the shot, he GAVE me eye drops I have to use 6-8 times a day. I'm hoping I will have my eyesight back to perfect in a couple of days. I have a follow up appointment Friday and hopefully there isn't any further action that needs to be taken.

I have to say that I don't think my eyesight has ever been as bad as it has been this time. I literally couldn't read out of my left eye on Monday. It was a little scary.

No comments: