Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rice Crispy treats

Last night we had Megan, Geoff and Justin over for dinner and Wii playing. I made bloody mary flank steak, grilled squash and zucchini, mashed potatoes and home-made bread; and for dessert I made creme brulee. Well, after polishing off most of everything I decided we needed some more sugar-packed dessert. So, I decided to make rice crispy treats.

I wouldn't say that I'm a gourmet chef by and means but I can follow a recipe pretty well. Except last night. I pull out all the ingredients (all 3 of them that is) to make our yummy treat. I drop my butter in my heated pan and get it good and melted. Then I dump my whole package of marshmallows in. Once everything is all melted, I mix in the 6 cups of cereal that it calls for.

I notice when I dump the mixture onto my baking sheet it is a little gooeyer than I remeber. Then, when I tried to cut a piece off the knife was sticking really bad, that's when I knew something was wrong.

Well, I check the instructions and it calls for 10 oz of marshmallow. So, I check the bag of marshmallows that I dumped in. Wouldn't you know it, I had a 16 oz bag of marshmallows instead of 10! So, the great guests they were and the sweet husband Rusty is, they all ate some of my sticky mess any way (not that they tasted much different, they just weren't the normal consistency).

It was a great start to the weekend getting to have them over. I always love to have a reason to cook a larger meal. Plus, we had a ball playing Wii until the wee hours of the morning! (12am is pretty late for all of us!!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The last time I made rice crispie treats, I didn't use ENOUGH marshmallows. So they were gross. I'll bet your gooey ones were delicious!