Monday, January 5, 2009

Insight

Sunday school at our church is always wonderful. But, this Sunday was really great because it gave me more insight on the after life of those who have passed. We have been studying 1 Thessalonians and this Sunday we went over chapter 4.

1 Thess. 4:13-18
Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words.

I really feel that this brings hope to those who have lost loved ones, that we will be with them forever. I know when I read it, I was a little weary that we wouldn't be united until the coming but after some explanation, I found out that those who pass, their spirit goes to be with Jesus. When the rapture happens those in heaven and those left on Earth will be united and given their resurrected bodies.

It just brings peace to know for sure that my sweet Abigayl is sitting with her heavenly father right now. And one day, she will be reunited with both her daddy and me (and all her siblings that God blesses us with!).

Another passage that brings comfort is 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

From these verses, comfort is felt. That through the hardships that we face God will be there to be our rock. That he is sufficient and all we need to lean on. That he will lift us up and give us the strength and courage we need to get through these hard times. God's power and love is so amazing.

I just want to thank our wonderful Sunday school leaders for their guidance through the Bible. For giving us the words we need to find strength and comfort. We are so blessed to have these wonderful people in our lives.

No comments: