Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Sad Ending....

Last year while pregnant with Abigayl, I subbed at a school for one week. In that one week, I met the most fantastic woman (I am proud to call her a friend) and I also found my professional calling.

(For those of you who do not know me, I graduated in 2006 with my BS in Biology. After college I had no idea what to do. Originally I wanted to be a pharmaceutical rep but found that it was very hard to get in to. After working for a company for a year and finding the hours and stress of the job to demanding on us newly weds, I left to became a homemaker/soon-to-be-mom. So, it wasn't until last year that I knew what I wanted to be.)

Skip ahead a few months, I ran into my friend one day (while meeting another friend for lunch, it was a God thing and a whole story in itself) and we were playing catch up. I told her about Abigayl and the tragedy that had taken place. She informed me that she thought of me when she found out that a sub was needed in a science class at my favorite school but she knew I had a baby. She gave the teacher my name and number and voila... I was subbing for a science class.

Well, the original plan was for ~6 weeks (including Christmas break) but she had complications that made it to where she had to be out longer. Though I hated that she was in pain, it was nice to know that I had something to get me out of bed and dressed every morning. I have been in the class now for around 3 months (except surgeries, snow days and my trip to AK). Being a teacher is one of the most rewarding things next to being a parent. I have grown to adore those kids... even the naughty ones (and there were a few of those!).

Unfortunately (fortunately for the teacher), today was my last day. It was so sad not knowing when I will be back in that building getting to see those wonderful kids. I am so happy though that the wonderful teacher is healed up and getting to be back in HER classroom. I am thankful that everything turned out well. I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend with the kids and for the experience I was able to gain. Most of all though, I am so thankful for the relationships I was able to build with the teachers around me. There are some fantastic people in that building and I look forward to being back.

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the Lord
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall.

Though I am dealing with a lot of pain in my life, God made sure I had something great to look forward to. I was given an opportunity through him to help heal me slowly. Though I will never be completely healed, I am surrounded by loving people that lift me up daily. Through working at the school I have formed friendships that I hope last through many years and many children.



The teacher I subbed for gave me these flowers as a thank you. In all actuality, it should have been me to send her thank you/get well flowers.

I also received so many notes, cards, pictures and even a flower from the kids. I am going to miss them SO much.

These are all the notes, pictures and cards.
Not only did I receive all of these wonderful things, but I also was surprised by a little party with one of my classes. A couple of students in coo hoots with a teacher planned out a little surprise. They brought in cup cakes, cookies and soda for the whole class. It was so special and so appreciated. Thank you to all of my new friends. It has been an absolute pleasure working with you and teaching you (to the wonderful students).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so sweet! I'm glad had that experience and found joy in it.