Monday, April 12, 2010

This and That

What a great, beautiful weekend we had here in Oklahoma! We were able to get a bunch of outdoor work done. Example, I mowed the lawn! Yes, there is an exclamation mark. I have not been able to mow the lawn in over a year. Last year I was pregnant and it was not a good idea to jump on our riding lawn mower in our VERY bumpy yard.

Not only did the lawn get mowed but Christmas lights came down, flowers got bought and planted and we had a major plumbing issue that completely revolved around floss!

This is my absolutely handsome son completely overdressed for the 80 degree weather. I'm still getting used to the whole dressing and not overdressing!
He looks mighty cute though...
Especially with his HANDSOME daddy ;-)
The first area we worked on this weekend was Abigayl's garden. Though it looked BEAUTIFUL last year, we decided to plant perennials in her garden this year. That way the color will pop up year after year.
Hopefully, the mums in the back will fill out soon. If not, we will have to get some more! Sunday we headed to Sanders Nursery because they were having a sale. I am so impressed with their nursery! If you live in the area, you should become a fan on facebook so you will know when the sales take place. They are supposed to have another one in May and June.
Anyhoo, We bought the beautiful, fragrant lilacs (above) and I can't wait for them to get bigger and spread out. I really want this end of the porch to be all part of Abigayl's garden.

We also bought these blooming evergreen shrubs. Last year we planted azaleas where they are and the azaleas did not make it. I'm glad Lowe's takes back dead plants! It just means we will be able to put our money into flowers or ornamental grass for this flower bed. Someday this bed will only need to be weeded! I think we have re-planted this bed every year that we have lived here. I can only imagine how much money has been put into this flower bed.
I'm ready to get our flower beds under control and making sense so that next year I can have a vegetable garden. I'm sure Rusty is REALLY looking forward to that adventure!
As for the plumbing, thankfully the problem was resolved pretty quickly but it took a lot of elbow grease and getting on the roof. I'm happy that Rusty was able to get some help from his dad. Otherwise, it would have been a LONG night!
It ended up that flushing floss is not a good idea. It looks like floss gets caught up in the pipes and then creates a blockage so that other things can't get passed it. Moral to the story.... DON'T FLUSH FLOSS!
The End

No comments: